Friday, July 11, 2008

Siberia: A Journey into the Heart of the Frozen Tundra

Okay, well, maybe I'm exaggerating. But that's what the hallway feels like: Siberia. It's freaking cold out there, much colder than the studio (which makes sense considering all the lights and equipment). I miss being in the studio terribly, but someone needs to be out running the computer...just glad I was here to help. We've had a few minor miscues but they haven't been bad overall.

The engineers just moved the main weather graphics computers out to the hall and left the radar computer in, apparently the station is not getting the radar suite, that comes as part of the new system, quite yet. I've been watching some tutorials online this week and seeing what kinds of things can be done with the new system. The department at Mississippi State has this same system, but I've only just played with it briefly and don't really know my way around it very well...but over the next three weeks (the station is scheduled to go live with the new system on July 24) I should be able to learn quite a bit about it from working with XXX.

XXX is also going to have me work on some projects on the radar system. That system can also be used to create weather graphics, but the company is mostly known for its superior radar program and not the graphics. Nonetheless, XXX said any experience I have on it will be helpful in the future. By the end of my internship, I'll have experience (albeit it minor) on three weather computer systems. Talk about a head start!

No comments: