Friday, July 18, 2008

My Computer Died, but the Week Finished on a High Note

Thursday morning, 8:00am, my computer was working just fine. By 9:30am, it had breathed its last breath...or, maybe, processed its last gigabyte, is a more apt description.

To be honest, I don't quite know what happened. My friend suggested it may be a corrupted windows XP file. Geek Squad seemed to think my motherboard was fried. I'm leaning more toward the fried motherboard...the computer (not my fault!) was quite dusty on the inside. The last person who owned it was a *heavy* smoker and a dusty housekeeper. So, who knows. I'm going to have another friend take a look at it tomorrow afternoon, we'll see.

Aside from that, my week finished on a high note. I went to Murray, Ken. yesterday to pick up a syllabus for a newswriting class I took 12-years ago at Murray State that Mississippi State does not apply toward my degree. I'd really rather not take it again - mostly because I've heard that both instructors for the course are not very good. But seriously, how many different ways are there to teach newswriting? Has the craft changed suddenly in the last 12 years (well, aside from some television newswriters dropping verbs)?

While there, I had lunch with a good friend. He had been my boss, and the news director, at the public radio station the university owns, while I was a student. He had been an immense help during a rough patch in my life and I've always respected him for being there as a friend. He now teaches ESL at Murray State and it was nice to reconnect with him for the afternoon.

This morning, in addition to my usual recordings, one of the news interns wanted to record a couple newscasts segments and they asked me to help out. It was set up like one of the morning newscasts - she did her intro, tossed to me for a quick weather tease, then back to her for the stories. Later I got to record another full weather segment.

It was something I was hoping I would be able to do this summer and will be helpful in showing personality and interaction between myself and an anchor. We are going to do another couple of these recordings on Monday and Tuesday.

I do have some copies of my most recent weathershows, but don't know when I'll be able to post them. I'm using my dad's computer and don't have a program to convert them for uploading to youtube. If/when I do I'll let yall know here.

No comments: