Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Out To The Hallway

The station is in the beginning stages of transitioning from one weather graphics system to another, and is expected to go live with the new box on July 24th.

Tomorrow the installation begins...but that means the Storm Center will be temporarily displaced to the adjacent studio and/or hallway/loading dock area (actually I'm not quite sure of the exact set-up...I just know we will not be working out of the newsroom until the new system goes live and also we'll be short some of the additional components we usually have).

Which means no more fun for me - I love being in the newsroom during the newscast! As I've said before, I literally sit less than 10-feet away from the anchor desk and most times less than a foot from XXX's stand-up mark. So while XXX will be in the studio during the morning newscast, it's going to be a stretch for us to pass information back and forth.

He may end up just doing nothing but the weather (chroma key) wall for his hits, since (A) the Doppler computer will also be displaced (it is a separate system from the weather graphics computer) and (B) he can be closer to the temporary weather office. Who knows, though, but I bet tomorrow's show is a bit rougher around the edges than normal.

No comments: