Sunday, June 29, 2008

Received a Great Compliment

Friday, after I had taped my 2-minute weather matrix, I was talking with XXX about what I could and should do to polish my on-air performance. The usual things, slow down and learn the gift of gab to get through any of the "boring" weather days, were brought up. He also pointed me, again, to a former co-worker of his (from when he was Chief Met. in Kansas City) who is now the Chief Met. at the CBS station in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas.

XXX had told me the other day "we all start as mimics" meaning we find someone whose style is similar to our own and mimic it until our own style comes out naturally. This guy in RGV, he said, is someone I should study and mimic because our presentation styles are very similar and very natural.

XXX then gave me what is probably the greatest compliment of my life: "There are some folks I have worried about having trouble finding their first job. But you are not one of them." I was floored. This man, who is probably the most underappreciated meteorologist currently working, had just told me that I have a bright future ahead. I couldn't have been happier when I left Friday morning.

No comments: