Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Days 2 & 3

Getting up and about at midnight, which means going to bed around 6pm, is a bit easier than I thought it might be. I think in a couple weeks I will be more used to it...but right now, by 8:00 or 8:30 am I'm hitting the wall and struggling to make it until 9:30.

At 2:00am, I would imagine the newsroom to be quiet - basically shut down - but the overnight producers have the police scanners turned up listening for stories to drop into the newscasts. It's actually pretty easy to ignore once the forecasting begins, though. As is the sound of the anchors at the desk, about 5 feet away, during the newscasts.

Today built most of the graphics myself, aside from the computer modeling - which XXX set up. We update the local temperatures as the Weather Service puts them up, which is usually about every 30-minutes. From there, it is just selecting which ones to put into his segments and making sure they are in "play" mode.

I've got to buckle down and learn a bit more on MS Excel so that he and I can start creating charts based on his research into the forecasting technique he has been studying. As might be expected, it's going to be a struggle. Tech manuals are not exactly light reading. Oh well, I've got most of the summer to do it, I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

give me a holler for some Excel tips... I use it all the time at work - Frank